There are various kinds of personal injury claims, although some claims are more common than others. One common kind of personal injury claim is claiming compensation for a car or vehicular accident, and if you have been injured in such an accident and believe that it was not your fault and due to the negligence, recklessness, or lack of competency of another person, then you may be eligible to receive compensation. Vehicular accidents can be quite traumatic on their own, but if you have an injury and need treatment, have lost your income, and may well lose more income in the future due to your accident, then you can definitely file a claim. But filing a claim for a car or vehicular accident can be tricky, so here’s your best guide to claiming compensation after your accident.

What you should do right after the vehicular accident

If you can, even if the damage doesn’t look major and your injuries look mild, you should contact the police and let them know the accident has occurred. They can then visit the scene and make an official record. Later on, whenever you can, acquire a copy of the official report from the police. This will have pertinent details regarding the accident, and it can help you once you file your claim. In some cases, if the fault is clearly established, the police officer may even include their view or opinion regarding who was responsible.

Your right to compensation for your vehicular accident

At first, the process of claiming compensation for a vehicular accident may seem quite daunting and challenging, but this is when you can seek help from an expert solicitor in personal injury and vehicular accident claims, such as the road accident claim Gloucester specialists from Shires Law. The solicitor’s legal knowledge will give you the insight you need, and they can move your claim forward if they think it has a good chance of being successful. More than this, they can provide you with a No Win, No Fee service, which means that you will only be charged their fee if you win your case.

The solicitor will likely arrange a medical examination so that the doctor can assess your injuries and their severity as well as your period of recovery. In some cases, they may even be able to arrange a portion of the compensation to cover your immediate expenses, such as physical therapy. Your solicitor can also assist you with the gathering of evidence – including full details of the accident, where it occurred, how it occurred, and the reason why it happened. You can also expect your solicitor to help you with the gathering of witness accounts and photographs whenever applicable. Along with your medical records, this will make up the core of evidence to prove the other party’s negligence.

The evidence required

As soon as an accident occurs, make it a point to take down notes as soon as you are able. Note down all the details, and keep all your receipts and documentation. Evidence would also include photos of your injuries and the vehicle plus the scene of the accident, prescriptions and receipts from your doctor (ensure they are properly dated and signed), and receipts of costs such as transport, child care, and other costs directly related to your vehicular accident.